In honour of International Day of Happiness, I am going to give a “brief” list of some of the little things in life that make or have made me happy:
- Coffee with french vanilla creamer.
- Finding that there is still hot coffee and french vanilla creamer at the hospitality coffee bar when I am 5 minutes late for church service.
- Making it to church on time when I wasn’t trying and getting to worship God.
- Maddie-bug’s sweet way she calls me Mimi.
- Trying on a pair of pants that is smaller than my size that fits.
- Wearing a new outfit.
- Sunsets that have purple, pink and orange.
- Finding money in an old purse, coat or outfit.
- The sounds of the country while watching the sunrise.
- Bacon from Bill Smith’s Cafe.
- Playing Frisby.
- The way my Mama feels and the way my Knankee felt when I would give her a hug.
- Hugs from my friends after church.
- Making new friends.
- Hearing a baby laugh.
- Holding a baby.
- Wrapping presents.
- Watching someone open a present.
- The smell of freshly sawed wood.
- The clean smell of downy, pinesol and/or febreeze.
- The sound of each of my children when they made their first cry.
- Homemade gifts at Christmas.
- Books, especially the Bible.
- Hearing my children say they love me without me saying it first.
- Orange creamsicles.
- Using a brand newly opened makeup.
- Sitting on the floor Indian style.
- Learning something new that I didn’t know I didn’t know.
- Arts & Crafts
- Getting a bulky handwritten letter in the mail.
- The way I could always sit on my Daddy’s lap even after I was all grown up.
- Playing the game of running from Daddy and wrestling with him when it was my birthday to try to keep him from giving me a birthday spanking while my Mama kept saying, “Somebody is going to get hurt.” & laughing hysterically when my hind end stung from his slow methodical whipping after he pinned me down.
- Feeling good after having been sick or in pain.
- A good footrub or backrub.
- Swimming in a warm pool.
- Shopping at the mall with my girls.
- Family gatherings at my cousin’s house.
- Fresh Hot baked bread or rolls with butter.
- Butter pecan malts
- Shooting Pool
- St. Patrick’s Day
- A movie that has a happy ending but ends in a way that I could not have predicted.
- Sci-Fi movies.
- Writing – anything.
- Listening to my children make plans for their lives and watching it unfold.
- Music that makes me want to move and dance.
- Cooking when someone else cleans up the mess.
- Getting a cart at the store that is easy to push and doesn’t squeak.
- Yard sale-ing.
- A new haircut & colour.
- Talking to my grown kids on the phone.
- A good joke.
- Gone with the Wind.
- Inventing things.
- Visiting my grandparents when I was a little girl which included riding across the swinging bridge, counting the train cars that always crossed the tracks near their house just when we were on our way, playing with Knankey’s button box and empty pill bottles, playing with my cousins on the porch swing until it broke, eating fresh produce that Papa let me pick out of his garden, helping Knankey snap beans while she rocked in her rocking chair on the front porch, finding and playing with rolly pollies under the rocks by the back porch, walking with Knankey to bring food to elderly neighbors, playing scrabble at their kitchen table, the smell of food cooking on her stove, the sound of the screen door slamming shut followed by their admonisions to not let it slam shut, sleeping on the floor wherever I could find a spot between the wall to wall aunts, uncles & cousins, watching their Christmas tree disappear as family members unloaded huge garbage bag loads of presents around the colorfully lit tree, fireworks on the fourth of July, catching fire flies and making mudpies.
- Getting an unexpected call, text or friend request from an old friend.
- Learning about History and visiting historical sights.
- Feeling a baby kick inside my belly.
- Nursing my children.
- Playing with my children and now my grand-daughter and teaching them finger plays and songs.
- Winning a contest.
- A long talk with a friend while sitting in the sand at the beach.
- Building sandcastles.
- Blowing bubbles.
- Collecting seashells.
- Collecting rocks & fossils.
- Having lunch out with my sister, my Mama or my friends.
- Finding a new restaurant.
- Seeing my children break a fever when they have been terribly sick or healing after a serious injury or illness.
- Cleaning my house with good music booming.
- Folding towels.
- Organizing anything.
- Planning anything.
- Getting a package from UPS, FedEx or the Postal Carrier.
- A hot bubble bath in a jacuzzi tub with candles and a glass of wine.
- Breathtaking views.
- City skylines at night.
- The first time I caught a fish when I was 8 years old because Daddy let me wear his lucky fishing hat.
- Shish Kabobs.
- A house with a loft.
- A day without contention.
- Rolling down a grassy slope.
- Making snowcream.
- Making snow angels.
- Wearing a cotton sleeveless nightgown with my hair up in a scrunchy.
- Music Boxes & Snowglobes.
- Making lists – like this one. This makes me Happy!!!
Even when things are not making me happy I can be happy that I am always blessed!
What makes you happy? How are you blessed? I would love to hear your comments. Leave your comments below.
Treasures from God’s Word
Matthew Chapter 5
2And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
3Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
6Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
10Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.